ד"ר איליה רודוב
· Gate to the Lord: Symbolic Language of East-European Synagogue Art, series of lectures and research workshop, Kiev-Mohyla Adademy, Kiev, May 18-22 (forthcoming)
· "To Hell": Images of Devil in Jewish Art, gueat lecture, Nativ - Government Bureau on Communications with the Jewish communities, Kiev, 17 (Forthcoming).
· Polish Dov and Jewish Niedźwiedź: Intercultural Contexts of East-European Synagogue Art, "The Jewish Neighborhood in the Middle Ages and Early Modern Period: Interrelations and Aesthetic Considerations," International Conference, Tel Aviv University, April 12-14, 2015.
· Between Exile and Redemption: The Land of Israel in the Art of East-European Synagogues, quest lecture, The Yeshiva University, New York, March 30, 2015.
· Allegories of Virtues in Traditional Jewish Art, "Jewish Symbolism: Marks of a People," Alfred and Jean S. Moldovan Memorial Symposium, The Harry G. Friedman Society, The Jewish Museum, New York, March 22.
· Mundane Wanderings and Ascension on High:Development of Didactic Allegories in Jewish Art, The Narkiss Prize for Excellence in Research on Jewish Art Lecture, The Center for Jewish Art, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Umberto Nahon Museum of Italian Jewish Art, Jerusalem, December 17.
· Art of Romanian Synagogues, "Jews of Romania: Cilture and Heritage," The Aharon and Rachel Dahan Center for Culture, Society and Education in the Sephardic Heritage, Bar-Ilan University, December 11, 2014
· The Bimah in Medieval Ashkenazi Synagogues: Interpretations of Archaeological, Visual and Textual Evidence, The David Slager Jewish Student Centre, Oxford, July 9, 2014.
· Architecture as a Matrix of Custom: On the Bodily Behavior in Medieval Ashkenazi Synagogues, International Medieval Congress, University of Leeds, July 7–10, 2014
· Relics or Junk? On Preservation of Art in Modern Central- and East-European Synagogues, Geisteswissenschaftliche Zentrum Geschichte und Kultur Ostmitteleuropas (GWZO) an der Universität Leipzig, April 4, 2014.
· On the Liturgy in Medieval Ashkenazic Synagogues, "Jewish Architecture: New Sources and Approaches," International conference, Technische Universität Braunschweig, April 1–3, 2014.
· Seeing the Invisible: Symbolism of the Divine Name in Synagogue Art, Eshkolot Lectures, Moscow, February 5, 2014.
· Under the Blue Sky: Depictions of Jerusalem in East-European Synagogues, The Museum of the Jewish History in Russia, Moscow, February 4, 2014.
· The Pavilion-Shaped Bimah in Medieval Ashkenazi Synagogues, the Twenty-First Sefer Academic Conference in Jewish Studies, The Center for University Teaching of Jewish Civilization, Moscow, February 3–5, 2014.
· Capturing the Untouchable: Symbols of Light and Fire in Synagogue Art, Eshkolot Lectures, Moscow, February 3, 2014.
· Hebrew Inscriptions in Renaissance Art, Instituto Italiano di Cultura, Moscow, February 2, 2014.
· From a Family Archive to Collective Memory: Sculptor Joseph Dinaburg and His Work in Synagogues, "Documentation and Preservation of Synagogues in Israel: Field Work to Research," inter-university symposium, The Department for Jewish Art, Bar-Ilan University, ICOMOS (Israel), The Center for Jewish Art, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, November 12, 2013.
· How Did Rabbi Moses Isserles Look? The Sixteenth World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, July 28–August 1, 2013.
· Preservation of East-European Synagogues in the Post-Communist Age, Conference of the Committee for Wall Painting, ICOMOS (Israel), Museum of Rishon Lezion, November 16, 2012.
· In Search for Meanings: On Semantics of Synagogue Paintings, guest lecture at the Institute of Architecture at the National Polytechnic University in Lviv, November 8, 2012.
· Between the Lost Empire and Future Paradise: Maksymilian Kugel’s Synagogue Paintings, “Ukrainian and Jewish Artistic and Architectural Milieus of Lwów/Lemberg/Lviv: From Ausgleich to the Holocaust,” International Conference, Center for Urban History of East Central Europe (Lviv); Center for Jewish Art, Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Polish Institute of World Art Studies (Warsaw);The Leonid Nevzlin Research Center for Russian and East European Jewry; Ukrainian Jewish Encounter Initiative (Toronto), Lviv, November 5-7, 2012.
· Images of Theophany in Romanian Synagogues, "Traditions and Perspectives in History of Jewish Art," International Conference, Bar-Ilan University, September 10–12, 2012.
· Voices Penetrating the Walls: On the Box-Like Bimahs in Medieval Ashkenazic Synagogues, "Art and Performance in the Middle Ages," International Conference, Imago: The Israeli Association for Visual Culture in the Middle Ages, Ars Judaica, and Department of Jewish Art, Bar-Ilan University, March 27, 2012.
· Wandering in the Past: Romanian Travelogues of Zussia Efron, "Lumea evreiască în literatura Română (The Jewish World in The Romanian Literature), International Conference, the Center for Research on Romanian Jewry and the Romanian Cultural Institute in Tel Aviv, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, February 14, 2012.
· Visions and Views: Representations of Divine Names in Romanian Synagogues, guest lecture, the Center for Research on Romanian Jewry, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, January 25, 2012.
· Didactic Allegories in Eastern-European Jewish Folk Art: Journey through Ages, Cultures, and Media, an interdisciplinary colloquium of the School of Arts at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, November 27, 2011.
· Language of Silence, "All the Colours of Rainbow," opening lecture, the exhibition of paintings by Shlomi Solomon, Wurzweiler Central Library, Bar-Ilan University, November 8, 2011
· Beating Heads Against the Wall: Outdoor Art on the Outskirts of Jerusalem, a colloquium of the Program in Contemporary Jewry at Bar-Ilan University, February 22, 2011
· Object and Ritual, "How Do They Hit Haman?" opening lecture, the exhibition of Purim rattles by Aviv Cohen, Wurzweiler Central Library, Bar-Ilan University, March 7, 2011
· Sacred Spaces and Sacred Images: Tracing Jewish Heritage of Medieval Spain at the National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, a lecture of the series of lectures and exhibition "Sefarad: imágenes de un pasado" under the auspices of the Embassy of the State of Israel and the Embassy of Spain in Ukraine, Kiev, November 10-11, 2010.
· The Convivencia in Art of Medieval Spain at the National Taras Shevchenko University of Kyiv, :a lecture of the series of lectures and exhibition "Sefarad: imágenes de un pasado" under the auspices of the Embassy of the State of Israel and the Embassy of Spain in Ukraine, Kiev, November 10-11, 2010.
· The Jewish Culture in Spain: From the Golden Age to Exile at the International Solomon University, a lecture of the series of lectures and exhibition "Sefarad: imágenes de un pasado" under the auspices of the Embassy of the State of Israel and the Embassy of Spain in Ukraine, Kiev, November 10-11, 2010.
· Depictions of Divine Providence in Christian and Jewish Art in Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Ukrainian Lands, “Ukrainian Jewish Encounter: Cultural Interaction, Representation and Memory,” the Ukrainian Jewish Encounter Initiative (Canada) in collaboration with the Israel Museum and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Jerusalem, October 18–20, 2010.
· Gate to the Heaven: An Artistic Construct in Eastern-European Synagogues at "Synagogue: The Soul of the Nation," Jerusalem Academic Center - Lander Institute, July 8, 2010.
· On Topsy-Turvy Images in Paintings and Books, "On the Contrary: A Colloquium on Inverted Images in Jewish Art," the Department of Jewish Art at Bar-Ilan University, Ars Judaica, and The Center for Research of Jewish Visual Culture in Europe, March 23, 2010
· Fabrics of History, "Beyond the Screen" and "Absence," opening lecture, the exhibition of digital prints by Shulamit Tibor, Wurzweiler Central Library, Bar-Ilan University, February 2, 2009
· Earth Touching the Heaven, "Spirit in Material: Sculptures and More," opening lecture, the exhibition of sculptures and paintings by Betty Wachsstock-Schonfeld, Wurzweiler Central Library, Bar-Ilan University, December 30, 2009
· Paintings of the Tsori Gil‘ad Synagogue in L’viv: Life and Illusion, The Fifteenth World Congress of Jewish Studies Studies, Jerusalem, August 3, 2009
· On the Wall and Beyound: Graffiti on the Security Walls between Gilo and Bethlehem, "Conflictual Art," Conference, The University of Haifa, June 9-10, 2009
· Ars brevis, vita longa: On Preservation of Modern Synagogue Art, "Jewish Heritage as Part of the World and National Heritage," Annual International Conference, The Goldstein Goren Center for Hebrew Studies, The University of Bucharest, May 28-29, 2009
· The Torah Ark in the Tabak Temple of Budapest and imitatio Templi, "Masquerade in Stone: Synagogue Architecture in Search of Jewish Identity," a colloquium on occasion of the publication of The Great Synagogue of Budapest, by Prof. Rudolf Klein, the Department of Jewish Art at Bar-Ilan University and The Center for Research of Jewish Visual Culture in Europe, May 21, 2009
· Illustrations Bounded and Unbounded, "Arieh Allweil: Prints and Calligraphy, 1939-1949," opening lecture, Wurzweiler Central Library, Bar-Ilan University, April 26, 2009
· Yona's Dreamland, "Jewish Life Cycle," opening lecture, the exhibition of sculptures by Yona Vital-Ravikovich, Wurzweiler Central Library, Bar-Ilan University, December 17, 2008
· Synagogue Art in Eastern Europe (keynote): "Art and Architecture of Romanian Synagogues," International Conference, Bar-Ilan University and the Romanian Cultural Institute in Tel Aviv, February 24–28, 2008
· Allegoric Images for Scholarship in Hebrew Books and in Synagogues: "Jews, the Arts, and Scholarship: Production and Reception," British Association for Jewish Studies (BAJS) 2007 annual conference, London, July 11-13, 2007
· The King, the King of Kings and the King of the King of Kings: "Isolation, Independence, Syncretism, Dialogue. Models of Interaction between Judaism and Christianity in Past and Present," Sixth International Conference, Ramat-Gan and Jerusalem, Israel, Jewish and Christian Perspectives, E.J. Brill, Leiden, Ingeborg Rennert Center for Jerusalem Studies, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan; Schechter Institute of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, Israel; University of Tilburg, Faculty of Catholic Theology, Utrecht, The Netherlands, January 21-24, 2007
· "בין הקבוע למשתנה - על הסמנטיקה של סמל חזותי באמנות יהודית": בין סמנטיקה לאמנות, יום עיון לזכרו של פרופ' גד בן עמי צרפתי ז"ל, אוניסרסיטת בר-אילן, 17 בדצמבר, 2006.
· The Synagogues of the East and the West at the Modern Age: Enchantment of Melody: Modern Jewish History in Music and in Art, series of lectures, The Zalman Shazar Center for Jewish History, November 16, 2006.
· "Thou That Dwellest in the Gardens": The Metaphorizing of the Synagogue Design in the Early Modern Eastern Europe at European Association for Jewish Studies VIII Congress, Moscow, July 23-27, 2006.
· St. Bernard’s Unexpected Influence: Jewish Adoption of Cistercian Art at “Strangers, Foreigners, and Others,” Third Annual Symposium of the International Medieval Society, École des Chartes, Sorbonne, Paris, June 29-July 1, 2006.
· Don’t Believe Your Eyes: Psychological Aspects of Contemporary Approaches to Jewish Art at “History and Culture of the Soviet Jewry,” the 13th International Congress “Jewish History and Culture in the Central and Eastern Europe,” Kiev, August 29-31.
· The Synagogue Ark as a Metaphor of a Stronghold of Faith, a lecture at the 14th World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, July 31 – August 4, 2005.
· "Let Us Build Us a City and a Tower”: Cult and Ideology in the Soviet Architecture in the 1920s and 1930s at “Cults, Temples, and Politics,” Conference, Yad Ben-Zvi Institute and Bar-Ilan University, April 7, 2005.
· Under the Wings of the Double-Headed Eagle: A Jewish Symbol in the Historical Context at "Jewish Culture and Russian Culture, Mutual Influences in the Twentieth Century," International Congress, Bar-Ilan University, January 9-13, 2005.
· The Text as Evidence and as a Clue: Early Lion Sculptures in European Synagogues at “Depicting Words: Verbal and Visual Aspects of Jewish Art” (Decennial of Jewish Art Studies at Bar-Ilan University), Bar-Ilan University, May 21-22, 2002.
· The Picture as a Text: New Semantic Aspects of Velasquez’s ‘Las Hilanderas’ at Interdisciplinary Seminar, Bar-Ilan University, 2002.
· On the Earliest Reliefs in Ashkenazi Synagogues at the 13th World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, 2001
· History of Jewish Art as Discipline at the Eshnav Seminar “Jewish Studies during the Last Century,” The Hebrew University in Jerusalem, August 1, 2001
· The Pyramid: Egyptian Origins, Christian Uses and Jewish Interpretations at the Seminar “Homage to Prof. Olga Goldberg,” May 14, 1991
· The Pyramid: the Model and Its Interpretations at the Motar Congress, Tel Aviv University, March 12-13, 2001
· The Carved Tympana of the Altneuschul in Prague: The Synagogue Art as Argument at the International Congress “Jewish Civilization in the Central and Eastern Europe, Minsk, January 2000
· The Paintings of the Synagogue in Pinczów at the 12th World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, 1997
· Origin and Developments in the Work of Shalom Moskovitz of Safed at the 11th World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, 1993
Basic Terms in History of Art
Introduction to Analysis of Artworks
Bibliography of Visual Arts
Visual Arts as a Language
Word and Image
Form and Meaning in Architecture
Classical Motifs in the Modern and Contemporary Art
Bible in Art
Sources and Methodologies of Research in Art History
Influence of the Classical Literature on the European Art
Introduction to Art History: Renaissance and Baroque
Chapters in Renaissance Art
Chapters in the Art of Baroque
Reality and Illusion in Baroque Art
Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael
Leonardo da Vinci
Raphael: Painter and Architect
Beauty and Power in Raphael's Works
Netherlandish Art, 16th-17th centuries
Art in France from Le Roi Soleil to Napoléon Bonaparte
Introduction to Jewish Art (part I: Ancient and Medieval Periods)
Introduction to Jewish Art (part II: Modern and Contemporary Periods)
Hebrew Printed Book Illuminations
Synagogue Art in Eastern Europe
Light and Sound as a Topic in the Art of Ashkenazi Jews
Sculptures and Paintings in Ashkenazi Synagogues
Bestiary in Jewish Art
Jerusalem in Art
Paradise in Art
The Jewish Sanctuary in Art
Sanctuary in Art and Architecture
Art on the Service of the Regime: Totalitarian Art in the 20th Century
2013-16 Aspiration for Wisdom: Allegories of Torah Study in European Jewish Art in the Medieval and Early Modern Periods
Israeli Science Foundation, individual research grant no. 326/13
- Dr. Sara Offenberg
- Ms Anastasia Glazanova
- Dr Miriam Grobman
- Mr Leor Jacobi
- Dr Adar Yarum
2008-13 Synagogue Paintings in Romanian Moldavia in the 19th and 20th Centuries
Israeli Science Foundation, individual research grant no. 265/08
Synagogue Art and Architecture
Jewish Visual Culture in Europe
Jerusalem and the Sanctuary in Art
Depictions and Descriptions of Synagogues
Utopias in Art
Symbols in Jewish Art
Symbols of Divine Presence in Jewish art
Christian and Jewish Art of the Renaissance and Baroque Ages
Hebrew Script in Christian Art
Aspiration for Knowledge as Reflected in Jewish Art
Semantics of Visual Arts
Ph.D.- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, the Department of Art History
M.A. - The I. Repin Academy of Arts, St. Petersburg
B.A. - The V. Serov College of Arts, St. Petersburg